Yahoo! Avatars

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Thing #12 Creating Community Through Commenting

The two points that I thought were most important were to write a meaningful comment and don't be afraid to comment. As a new blogger, I find that I am more interested in reading various blogs and their comments than I am in actually commenting on them. This is partly due to the fact that I do agree that comments need to be meaningful, and I guess I am not at the point where I think my comments will be meaningful to others that have so much more experience than I do. This feeds into the second point about being afraid to comment. I'm not afraid in the sense that it will harm me, just in the sense that I need to feel a little more comfortable with all of this before I really have something to contribute.

The 5 blogs that I picked to comment on in Learn2Play were people that I don't know. I deliberately did that to push myself to the next level. I wonder if I will hear from them? I have to admit that I picked the blogs based on the names---they sounded like we might have something in common.

The 2 blogs that I picked to respond to that were not on Learn2Play were blogs that I added from the Google Alerts that I have been receiving on knitting. I was so surprised to find out there is so much information on this subject. One of the bloggers was writing about knitting scarves and helmet liners for our soldiers, and the other one was willing to share a pattern for the baby hats that I have been talking about. I think these ideas are very worthwhile and I am very interested in them. Hopefully I will have time to pursue them in the future.

2 comments:

mo money said...

I just clicked on your comment and it brought me to your blog post to make a comment. Yes, I decided to have a mini vacation utilizing technology which included not answering any phones, cooking or watching tv. Wouldn't try this method if you have kids or a cranky husband ( :

Grendel said...

I know what you mean about learning to feel comfortable making comments. It puts us right out there for everyone to adore or trash--agree with or argue with. I find that I don't like to do this in conversation so I am not surprised I hate to do it on a blog. But this is all about pushing ourselves beyond our c omfort zone, isn't it?!