Yahoo! Avatars

Monday, June 9, 2008

Thing #7 Cool Google Tools

I have always loved the word google--very clever. It just sounds like fun and it is. Mention trying to find out something about almost anything and most people will ask you if you have "googled" it.

I enjoyed all of the Google tools on Thing #7. I registered for Google Alerts about knitting. It will be interesting to see if I get any information. I taught myself how to knit last year, and I am really enjoying it. A teacher and I have talked about starting a knitting group at school and making baby caps. There was an article in the paper about a year ago featuring a third grade classroom in a Houston school that was making baby caps for newborn babies. We thought it sounded interesting, and searched for a pattern, but didn't find one. I have to admit that we both got very busy and dropped the ball on the project. Maybe this alert will direct me to the pattern. Also, some of my library volunteer moms wanted to start a knitting club this summer so we could stay in touch with each other. We have our first meeting next week.

I think the Google Advanced Search was one of the most helpful sites as far as lesson planning. I stayed with the Texas State Symbols theme and searched for PowerPoint presentations (thanks for the hint). The teachers at my school love PowerPoint presentations and there were two good ones when I did a Google Advanced Search. The one from Pasadena ISD even included the cowboy hat as a state symbol, and it was very well done. I am hoping to gently "push" some of our teachers into other types of projects this year. There should be plenty of things to show them after this course.

I loved Google Earth, and I probably did what most people do--I googled my home address. It took me straight to my house, and it was fun to see everything in the neighborhood. I liked the fact that you could tag landmarks, and I could see this tool being used in many Social Studies lessons. I loved that it showed you the exact latitude and longitude of a location. For some reason, that was always one of my favorite things to teach.

1 comment:

Jane said...

You have really taken flight on this, Mimi! I love Google Earth too. I can check on my friend in Australia and see if her truck is parked on the street or in the driveway. My son likes to find bizarre places like the giant pink bunny in Europe and the US gov't building in California shaped like a Nazi symbol. I can see better uses for it in school though.