Yahoo! Avatars

Monday, June 23, 2008

Thing # 19 Web 2.0 Awards

This is an incredible list to visit. It is quite overwhelming, but is easy to navigate and it is nice to be able to pick favorite categories and explore. One of the things that I loved was recognizing many of the name of the sites. I learned about them in this class!

Of course, the first place I went to was Books. I briefly checked Lulu and realized that it was for someone that is wanting to publish their own book. Since that isn't me, I checked out Biblio and found out it was a great way to search for rare books. I also liked that Library Thing won honorable mention, because I liked that site. I decided to change courses and had a hard time deciding in which direction to go, but finally decided on Travel.

The travel sites were incredible. I went back and forth between liking the 2nd place winner, Kayak, more than the 1st place winner, Farecast. They were both great and I really am not sure how they decided which one was best. They both search many sites at the same time--Kayak says it does 140 at once. They came up with so many choices of flights that it was almost overwhelming. You could set up ranges of times to depart and return, they would spell out every step of the trip, you could designate the amount of stops (or non-stop), etc. I know that other sites have these features, but you usually have to search one particular site at a time. These searched all of the sites and all of the airlines at the same time. The possibilities were endless. They even had a flight from Baton Rouge to Houston that took over 13 hours (not a good thing). I had to check the details on that one, and of course, it had an overnight layover in Dallas. This awards list will definitely go on the bookmarks list for further exploration in other categories--especially for other family members that are interested in genealogy, health, music, and maps.

The uses for lessons would also be endless--research, compare/contrast, deciding on the criteria for 1st, 2nd, etc. - what made one better than the other, math lessons comparing prices, times, mapping, cooking and measuring, and the list goes on and on.

1 comment:

Grendel said...

So you found a site for author wannabes? Fantastic! My mother was just encouraging me to try my hand at writing a book. I demurred, of course. If I write about what I know, nobody will read it, much less buy it. We sifted through several ideas before hitting on a surefire winner--a Jewish ballerina survives the Holocaust, emmigrates to the US, becomes a librarian and succumbs to a mysterious plague....If you steal my idea, it's ok. I won't sue.