Yahoo! Avatars

Monday, June 16, 2008

Thing #13 Tagging and Discover Del.icio.us

I have to admit that I have been very curious about Del.icio.us, mainly because of the name. I know a little about tagging and have been tagging most of my posts/exercises for this class, so that I could experiment with them a little.

The Del.icio.us tutorial was informative, but it also includes so much information, that I think this is something that would take a while to really grasp and use to its full potential. I'm not sure how it would relate to lessons in an elementary school. It seems much too complicated, although maybe with more understanding I will see it as an organization tool. Her comment about there being 27 million blogs and this doubling every 5 months made me wonder if these people have a life. I totally understand getting things organized, but it also seems like it can get out of control. There are just so many hours in a day. It seems a little time and labor intensive.

My basic understanding of tagging and these various social bookmarking sites is that is allows you to share your "favorites" with everyone instead of just having them on your favorites list on your computer. I like the Furl explanation of "an online file cabinet of your favorite web pages." I think that simplifies things so that most people can understand the concept.

I also like the Ma.gnolia explanation and easy to read pages, and will continue to explore why they think their service works better. Is Del.icio.us better or was it just the first to think of the idea?

As far as using a rating system on all of these services to rate 1-5, OK-better, I think I would streamline it to only save the best of the best in the first place. The idea is to make life easier with technology, not more time consuming and complicated.

1 comment:

Grendel said...

I am learning a lot that I missed the first time around. Thanks for writing such thorough notes!