Yahoo! Avatars

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Thing #9 Useful Library-Related Blogs

I feel like I got most of my library information in Thing #8 (except for some of these blog searches). My list of blogs in Google Reader are almost all library related ones that I researched and thought would be most beneficial for me, and the ones that I would have time to read.

The easiest method for finding feeds for me has been to read some of the library blogs that I like and respect, look at their blogroll, and try some of them out. As usual, there are too many to add to the list, so I am trying to "create a circle of the wise" like Cool Cat Teacher recommends. It's fun to read many of the blogs, but then I find hours have gone by and I am not getting anything else done in my "regular" life.

The easiest to use for me was Topix. It was organized in an easy-to-read format for me---somewhat like the CNN page that I have set up as my homepage. The topic headings were clear and articles were included under the main topic headings.

The one that I thought I would find the most information on was encountering problems today - School Library Blogs on Suprglu, so I could not get onto it. Another one encountering problems was Syndic8. I tried several times, but continued to get that message. I will try School Library Blogs at another time.

Ones that I found confusing were Blogline's Search Tool and Technorati. There were a lot of ads and I didn't find that the layout was as organized as some of the others. The pages were a little busy for me and didn't hold my interest.

I had already added more blogs to my reader this morning, so I didn't add any more during this assignment. I want to be able to read what I have. I think the main "other tool' that I have found is just to be aware of the symbols on the sites that I already visit. I can now add them to my Google Reader, and in the past I wasn't aware of that. I find myself looking around more on each page that I visit.

1 comment:

Grendel said...

I didn't understand the symbol, either. I knew, because our fearless leader kept quizzing us on it, that RSS stood for "really simple syndication." I was ready to answer in the event that he called upon me, but I had no clue what it was all about.